Old 03-05-08, 02:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by aesmith
Are these manufacturer's putting out a frame not ready to have a headset fitted?
This is somewhat normal for a steel frame. Since steel frames are a minority, the need to face and chase threads seems a bit foreign. However that's how virtually all frames were shipped when virtually all frames were steel.

AL frames typically get machined after welding since tubes get warped etc. So they clamp the BB and machine everything square and perpendicular, whatever is required.

Carbon I don't know but I figure the tolerances in producing the frame require the frame be perfect when it comes out. I certainly wouldn't want to run a blade on a carbon anything.

Ti usually is cut pre-welding. I don't know how Litespeed is now but they used to have screwy threads (talking 10-15 years ago). Cup and cone BBs were virtually unusable. Merlin had very nice (expensive) threads, you didn't have to use a cartridge BB to keep things smooth. Since cutting ti ruins normal facing tools, ti frames are "what you see is what you get".

Steel you just sort of leave alone. The threaded BB, the head tube, even the seat tube. If a frame is well prepped by the builder then it'll be faced, threads chased, etc.

Many builders leave this detail work up to the shop. Keeps actual cost of frame down, lets shop make money facing things.

prepped many a steel frame,
cdr