View Single Post
Old 04-11-02, 10:27 AM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are no leash laws here in SW Missouri (at least not in Taney, Stone, and Barry Counties where I ride the most) so calling the sheriff won't help. They have better things to do. So the cyclist must deal with dogs on his own.

I use different tactics for different dogs.

1)If the dog is wagging it's tail and NOT barking I will stop and talk to it for a minute or so and give it a doggy treat. Most dogs love affection.

2) If the dog is just barking and chasing (guarding it's territory) I slow down and talk to it; "Hi dog, don't run in front of my wheel. You don't listen well, do you?" If it doesn't try bite me I will stop and give it a doggy treat. Eventually the dog will remember me and I can use strategy #1.

3) If the dog is aggressive I assert myself as an alpha-male and force the dog to surender it's territory to me. I do this by yelling, barking and growling; dismounting and charging the dog on foot, and if necessary, using my bike as a weapon. Getting smacked in the face by a 30 pound bicycle will change any dog's attitude. When the dog lays down and shows me his neck I know I have won. Then I give him a doggy treat and go on my way. It won't be long before doggy and I are best friends.

These strategies usually work on untrained dogs. Attack dogs are a different story... but so far I've never met one.

Last edited by cycletourist; 04-11-02 at 10:32 AM.