Old 03-09-08, 11:14 AM
mtnmn
Gravity Rocks

Bikes: 77 Raleigh Super Course, 08 Trek Madone 6.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry no pix to post. I got in and settled at Lompoc by 1PM, it was time for a ride. I previewed some of the Century. Took H st to Purisima and back to 246, a pretty ride with long rollers to Solvang, onto Alisal and from there the country was simply beautiful, sort of tempered rain forest in appearance and feel. Hit Old Coast Hwy to 101 for a short jaunt and onto Santa Rosa in the afternoon sun, a beautiful ride.

As I was on 101 I was looking at pretty high stuff off to my left, wondering what I'd gotten myself into but Santa Rosa turned out to be cut on their northern slope with a valley to the right. Sometimes I was at floor level others I'd climbed several feet above. It was quite a ride, I was ready for dinner and feet up for the night.

Not much that I can add to previous posts on the century, they cover the good and the back quite well. I hung at the start cruising around looking for a familiar face or jersey, did find someone that I knew, reset my counters and on the road a bit after seven. I had a great ride, formidable winds made pace lining the order of the day. The day continued great until just before the 4th SAG. I started to sense cramp onset. Took longer break at 4, my drive train needed a little tweaking. On the short steep of Foxen, I had already been getting solid cramping of both sartorius muscles, standing relieved but on Foxen, catch 22, when I stood both medial quads locked. I had to stop for the first time in my illustrious 3 century career. Some more short climbs and some fantastic downhill bombers, at some point b4 or after that area I clock for me an amazing max of 47.2mph.

Still had a great ride all in all:
Stopwatch-7:01
Time- 6:12:18
Avg Spd- 16.99

Got got figure out this electorlyte business though. I was well hydrated, approx 2.5 scoops of hammer perpetuem to the hour, tried Spitz? toward the end too. It seems time to add something like Hammer Heed or prob Endurlyte.

Recovered fine, if it did not require getting up a 4:30 to get there from Lompoc I have looked for merider and the gang for a ride to Griffith.