View Single Post
Old 03-09-08, 06:55 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, first race of the season, first race not as a 5.
I did the 3/4 field,
ave speed 21.9 mph. Distance 22 miles.
I am not a great group rider, it takes me a long time to get comfortable in a pack. After about lap 15-of 30-I began to feel a little more comfortable. The wind was constantly changing course, making it difficult to find some place to hide.
Coming into the last lap, the pace picked up, I was in a nice position, I thought-on the right near the front. Halfway through the lap, guys start surging up the left, no one in the group makes a move, I'm boxed in. There are already two guys after breaking away early on and staying away, now we're going for third.
Finally there's movement, I go, didn't check my power yet.
I was surprised that it was so easy to go, no one is gaining on me, I'm in fourth going up the hill and I hold it for the finish. I'm psyched-first race as a 3. I take my hands off the bar, like I just won the tour, I'm overcome with emotion.
Heading back to the car, the Ref tells me I'm disqualified. I thought he was joking-no. I can't take my hands off the bar in a field sprint.
I still feel good, and I'm glad I learn this in a training race, not a stage race or one of my peak races. I have taken my hands off for all 4 of my places/wins, never heard of this, but, now I know.
It was my first race with someone who I have been training with, my coach, we are going to have our own team shortly, so it's hopefully going to be a good season.

Great race, met CDR, he got 2nd in the field sprint-and didn't put his hands in the air-smart.[/

My last 3/4 crit averaged 26.9. At least you learned a good lesson for next time. Even better if you do that 3 positions up though.