View Single Post
Old 03-10-08, 09:50 PM
skandal20

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, Celeste

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was recently diagnose with achilles tendonitis as well. I am a 22 year old Cat 3 and I can totally understand your frustration.

All this work this past winter has been crushed due to this injury. I have been off the bike for 3 weeks and the good news is that it is starting to feel a bit better.

I am having physical therapy 2x a week, using Flector patches, and doing contrast baths (10 minutes cold, 10 minutes warm) nightly to combat the swelling.

Try to get some swimming in, and some moderate weight training (keep the achilles stable though) to salvage what you have trained for.

What happened to me was I went from 2 weeks off of the bike, to doing a 17 hour week and on the longest ride in that week, 5.5 hours it started to nag me. I stupidly shrugged it off and kept riding on it even though it hurt pretty badly. Near the end of one ride I felt a tear and rode home around 10 mph.

If this sounds familiar - do yourself a favor and go see a good doctor, get some PT time in and let those tendons rest. This can become chronic if not treated correctly. Good luck!