View Single Post
Old 03-12-08, 08:56 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have been in a similar situation.

I stayed to a California State Park campground that offered hiker/biker sites. It was out of season (November) and the place was deserted. As is often the case, the hiker/biker site was off to the side in some weedy area. I paid for a hiker/biker site (in this place, I paid before I saw the site) and then actually camped in a full fee site next to a bathroom.

In the morning, the camp manager came up and demanded the full fee. I argued that the place was empty, that I hadn't used any more services than I would have at the hiker/biker site, and that it was simply more convenient to be next to the bathroom than 100 yards away. She didn't like it, but eventually said OK but the "next time I was use the site set aside for hiker/bikers or pay the full fee." I agreed.

I realize this is not the same as listed above and don't think I did anything wrong. I don't see hiker/biker sites as cheap sites due to inferiority location. I see them as a way to encourage people to not use cars. What's more, does it really matter where one pitches a tent in an empty campground?

Would others have done different?

Ray