Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkSch
quite some controversy about "Manopause" and testosterone replacement.

Things to know...an individual's testosterone level is very variable...so one measurement may be quite different from another even in normal individuals.

In the absence of symptoms of low testosterone (decreased libido, decreased shaving need...) there's not much to support giving testosterone. Most recommend against checking just to check since it's unclear what to do with a low level in the absence of symptoms....Urologic society suggests not treating unless there are symptoms...and I don't think "My sprint isn't as fast as I want it to be" counts as a symptom.

a recent trial in the Netherlands amongst older men with low testosterone levels but no symptoms found no differences in outcomes (and they tested a LOT) among those randomized to get testosterone and those who got sugar pills (although maybe they didn't choose the best way to give testosterone.

Mark, MD
Some athletes use the low testosterone story as an excuse to justify getting a "boost" to help their racing. Of course, they don't tell the doctor that ! They feel "tired", low sex drive etc ... Ever wonder why those masters races are so damn fast !?!?

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html