Old 03-14-08, 06:29 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Good compromise... I like it.

But in the end you only addressed the responsibilities of the cyclists... yet in an earlier paragraph you included motorists ("Motorists and others who control traffic law")... so you need to add them to the bottom line too, and get them to "go along."

I am as willing to "get rid of the stripes and sidepaths" the moment that motorists are willing to agree that I don't have to ride to the side and can use any lane, at any speed, as equally as they.

In fact I'll go you one further... I say let's get ride of all the speed limit signs and other signs and all the road stripes, stop lights and stop signs and everyone should just act in a safe responsible manner. Does that sound reasonable? I'm all for it.
I think that your comment that I have failed to bring the motorists into it, failed to get them to "go along", is incorrect. They have an explicit part in the compromise, in that they, who have the major part in controlling traffic law, have to explicitly renounce the laws restricting cyclists on the spurious ground of safety. They do so by getting those restrictive anti-cyclist laws, which they created for their own interest, repealed. Nothing could be more convincing than that.

I disapprove of your suggestion for turning streets into woohnerven. That is just lowering both cyclists and motorists to the level of pedestrians, to the disadvantage of everybody, recreating the chaos that was the incentive for the creation of the first formal traffic code.