View Single Post
Old 03-15-08, 11:45 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
I spoke with Sporting Life last week while the bike show was on (could not go to the show. ). Thier bike department guy seemed rather up and up on the 'no tax' on the bikes thing. He told me that the bike no tax on bikes -$1000 or less, helmets, lighting, (I think) bells you don't pay taxes on. He told me that this is a one year trial thing to the best of his knowledge ending in Nov/2008 and thanks the MaGuinty goverment for this to help others get inolved in riding and take an alternative transportation.

I can't confirm what he said on that but I am appreciative of the tax breaks. I wonder if that covers locks?
So is that a no sales tax thing at time of purchase, or do you claim it on your tax return? And that would have to be provincial tax - what's Ontario's sales tax now?

I have been spoiled living in Alberta with no provincial sales tax and the GST going down the last couple of years . I started off in BC where PST was 8% for a while, plus 7% GST!