Old 03-18-08, 07:45 AM
Kicked out of the Webelos
bluebottle1's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the advice above in an attempt to head off litigation. That's always best. However, if these jackasses don't back off and fix your credit rating, get a lawyer and go for the jugular. These *******s are scum of the earth, and you can help teach them a lesson.

First, get all your paperwork in order. ALL OF IT. Make sure you can prove that the exact debt they are seeking to collect has already been paid. Make copies of all correspondence between you and the state crime victims' fund.

Talk to a lawyer. Odds are you can get a free consultation as this is encouraged by pretty much every state bar. If he won't give you a free consultation, don't retain him. Talk to him defending you and countersuing for defamation and a frivolous suit. If your state has a good consumer protection law (and I'd have to believe California has a good one), slandering your credit is almost certainly a violation. (For example, it's a violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practice Act.) These statutes almost always provide for attorneys' fees to a prevailing plaintiff. The agency will probably back off and fix your record as soon as they get a **** letter and some documentation from the lawyer. You likely wind up paying only nominal attorney's fees, if anything. If the agency doesn't back off, authorize a lawsuit.

The point of this is that, if you wait for them to sue you and they actually go through with it, you are likely stuck paying a lawyer with less possibility of getting your money back. If you proceed against them based on a good consumer statute, however, you can likely get your attorney's fees plus some measure of exemplary damages. Plus, you'll teach these ***** a lesson, which would be well worth it.

Kicked out of the Webelos.
bluebottle1 is offline