Old 03-18-08, 09:59 AM
traderman

Bikes: 30 yo 10speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straight bars on road frame

My first thread. I'm 54 and just picked up riding again on my college 10 speed 30 years old. 'Been picking it up again over last three years.
It is so old it has drop bars and two sets of brake levers. It has drop shifters which I do not like.
I've nearly always used the brake levers across the top - riding more upright. ' Thinking about a new bike - city/urban style with straight bars. Many of them seem to have lower level components and higher prices. ' Been looking at building my own and it is hard to find a frame or frame set to build a road/city straight bar bike.
Mostly I ride around a small town on residential streets and mebbe some paved trails, trips to the store.
The geometry on the city bikes seem to have a longer wheelbase and different angles. Regarding wheelbase - is the shorter base a little faster off the mark and easier to handle? Does it create lots of fit problems to put straight bars on a road frame? Perhaps compensate with a longer stem?

Just thinking about buying and assembling my own with quality components where I want them - then having a bike shop tune it. Thinking it might be a lot wiser to just go with retail bike. Any and all advice welcome.

By the way - small rural town closest bike shop is 45 miles away - part of the reason I'm thinking about building my own.