View Single Post
Old 03-18-08, 10:05 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
and roads get redesigned and restriped in progressive cities around the world and the USA, particularily in the last 18 months seems like- there's been a synergystic proliferation of bicycling master plans in major metropolis in the last short few years, and implementated more and more everyday in more and more USA cities.

heck, just this week on the way to work I rode a street that went from in my opinion a weak bike lane design, got restriped and placed it to the left of right turning traffic at a signalized intersection. It's a complex intersection, a doglegged 5 way.

Monday AM I rode into this at speed coming off one of the four laned legs, in the inside lane no less. transistioning into the newly restriped bike lane -to the left of all right turning traffic, approaching the intersection, well, it rode, naturally, vehicularily, and smoooth like a roller coaster.

to stonewall in claims 'nothings' going to get done' is denial of what can happen in US cities. Why hasn't greater accomodation for bicyclists been done in YOUR major US city?

Anecdotally, well designed and implemented bike infrastructure systems of unaccomodated roads, wide lanes, sharrows, bike lanes, paths, MUPS and end of trip facilities, unique to each municipality, appear to be working in the USA.

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-18-08 at 10:13 PM.