Old 03-21-08, 09:24 AM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
Big box stores have the reputation they do because most of their bikes are pure crap. I highly doubt a conspiracy among members of a relatively esoteric message board had anything to do with that. 35-pound bikes with suspension and gears that don't work properly is not a quality, or even "decent" bike by any stretch of the imagination. This is what these stores sell for the most part.

No suspension and a single chainring up front is a good idea, though. It's good that X-marts are beginning to carry a more sane alternative to the fake mountain bikes that have given them their bad reputation, what with all the recalls they've had on these white elephants over the years. Maybe one day they'll turn it around and have a reputation for sound, practical bikes. Don't hold your breath.

I've seen your bikes, and you don't ride Wally World bikes either, so why is that?
I think the biggest problem with a lot of retailers is the lack of appropriate bikes. As others have commented, if you sell someone a spongy, crappy suspension mountain bike that is completely the wrong size because it is "trendy" and in-stock, well they probably aren't going to become a cyclist of any sort. The same if you sell someone an out-and-out road bike with a drop from saddle to handlebars.

Despite making fun of the suicide levers, those old 80's touring bikes were pretty ideal for the casual rider I think. They had a nice, relatively upright geometry and were well-designed to ride around the suburbs, etc. I would prefer one of those over the urban "hybrid" commuter bikes that they try and sell nowadays.