Old 03-21-08, 10:05 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 62cm LHT. That means I can't have 26" wheels. I wouldn't mind having the smaller wheels to help prevent spoke breakage. I've had a tour spoiled by broken spokes so I'm a bit paranoid. Anyway, I wouldn't consider the 26" wheels to be a deal breaker, or even a negative. I think the positives balance out the negatives.

Anyway, I built my LHT up from a frame. The first stem I put on had me feeling really stretched out. I replaced it with a Profile Boa that has a really steep angle - 130 degrees I think. It brought the handlebars back and up. Now the fit feels perfect. I don't notice any loss of control. I've ridden with a full handlebar bag, but haven't toured with full front panniers yet, so I can't comment on any possible loss of control with a bigger load, but I'll be surprised if there is any. I've never heard of anyone suggesting a loss of control with a short stem before. I say comfort first.

If you get a frame that's the right size, you can tweak the fit with different stems, spacers, sliding the saddle back and forth, raising or lowering the seatpost, etc. You should be able to get it dialed in perfectly.