I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
I am not and have not been talking about racing or racing-inspired bicycles, if you'd like to talk about them, start your own thread on this topic. What I'm talking about is bikes like the Giant Sedona and Kona Smoke,...
t's why the thread was posted in the first place. Whatever mythical Walmart you have in Iowa, well, ours just ain't as good, apparently, because all I've ever seen are crap bikes come from there, with the exception of the single-speed cruisers which are adequate fro the price.
Actually I thought the OP was whining about those allegedly crappy single speed cruisers from Walmart as well as the shock, shock he had of seeing a helmet fitting chart at Target.

Nothing about Giant or Kona bikes,eh? Maybe that was a different thread you were thinking about.

Anyhow I agree with your premise about the value of those relatively simple single speed bikes offered by the big box stores and wish they would again offer the equivalent bikes (or better yet, middle weight bikes like the older Columbia, Sears, Huffy, etc. products) with internal hub 3 speed or 7/8 speed hubs, fenders etc. Such bikes were for sale everywhere (at least with 3 speeds) until the early 70's for $50-75 or so. I will be happy if they do and the public might get happy too when and if the media gets on board and stops associating and promoting "serious" or "real" bicycling with Lance wannabees, the Buycycling conventional wisdom, and/or the value of gee whiz high tech gizmos for riding around town or on the bike path.

Until they do I'll stick with my German bought department store bike bought for approx $135 in 2000 with a 7 speed hub, full fenders, lights, bell rack, etc. Works just fine for all my needs with minimal maintenance.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-22-08 at 05:32 PM.