View Single Post
Old 03-22-08, 07:21 PM
grantman18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestions for Coast to Coast route

A friend and I are starting to plan our cross-country bike trip for July and August of 2009 (it can't hurt to start planning early). I know his is probably the hottest two months to do the ride, but it's the only time that we know we'll have 8-9 weeks to dedicate to the trip. We aren't really sure what route we're going to take, but we do know that we'll be leaving from Boston, MA. Ideally we'd end up in southern california somewhere, but that is flexible.

Has anyone else completed an east to west trip around July and August? I ride/race about 5000 miles a year, and my friend rides a decent amount, and stays in pretty good shape otherwise. When we leave for the trip we'll both be 23 years of age with properly outfitted bikes so I anticipate us being able to log pretty long days if we have to. Our limit for the trip is about 60 days. Given that, can anyone suggest full or partial routes for us to take? I guess the northern tier would be the best route judging by average temperature, but It would be nice to not take such a roundabout way to california. Would it be absolutely brutal to be riding 50-100 miles a day through Nevada and California in August? Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew