View Single Post
Old 03-23-08, 06:59 PM
BrooklynRider
Steel Frame

Bikes: Roadbike, commuterbike and wife's "Bike with a bell and a basket" 3 speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm not intending to highjack this thread but I have some issues with a Brooks B-17 as well.

I bought it last spring and it took a while to break in. While I was breaking it in, I raised my handlebar height, lowered the seat, and felt pretty comfortable toward the end of the season. I'm pretty much a club and fitness rider, for the most part. Not a racer. 165#, in decent shape, etc.

Anyways, after other comfort issues, specifically ITB, I saw a respected fitter in my area and had my position refined a bit. A bit? Actually everything has changed. He lowered my handlebar, set it out further (slightly longer stem without rise), found my 'neutral' seat position and I changed from eggbeaters to Look Keo. Lot's of changes really.

The Brooks was and is very comfy on my sit bones (well, it ain't, and never will be a Laz-e-boy, but reasonable for 100 miles.) But now, I'm changing a bit from a more upright, handlebar level, pelvis-back position to a position more suitable to the drop position. Frankly, even with the previous higher-handlebar position, the Brooks B-17 causes quick issues with the 'taint and perineal soft tissue.

It seems Brooks is well aware of this to some degree with their anatomical test runs and all, but is there a solution I can try short of cutting the saddle to allow a more agreeable fit in the drop position?

From what I have gleaned, many touring cyclists love the Brooks saddles, and I doubt that type of cyclist spends much time in the drops but in a headwind or decent. Regardless, th discomfort I always have felt in the drops from the Brooks is concerning.

In short, in an upright position, the Brooks is agreeable. But, even in a shallow drop position, the brooks is interfering with soft tissue in pelvis-forward, more aero positions. The sit-bones Love the Brooks. The 'Taint hates it to the point I have to put it on the commuter.

This saddle has over 1500 miles on it, and is nicely broken in. Has my bone dimples, etc. I can't wear it in where the soft bits contact it.

I could use anecdotes and remedies if there are any.

I'm considering trying other products, but saddle shopping is why I bought the Brooks in the first place. I wanted to avoid the issue and get the best. My fear is that a new search might save the 'taint and suffer the 'sit... Which it seems would be preferable in the long term.

Thanks.

Last edited by BrooklynRider; 03-23-08 at 07:15 PM.