Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzman
when I finally get some time I will get some video of a stop sign near my home where I would guess that 75% of the drivers run it.
A couple years ago a small town near me that has some excellent roads for riding bicycles, tried to make bicycle registration mandatory in thier town in order to eliminate cyclists from thier roads... at least the ones that didn't live in the million dollar plus houses that make up most of this town. Their rationale was that cyclists ran stop signs (it's such a small town, there are only four) and were a danger.

They had a town meeting where they discussed doing this, and there was quite a bit of outrage against this patently stupid idea, even from a lot of residents. So to reinforce thier negative portrayal of cyclists, they put up a camera on one of the more travelled stop signs for a day, and planned on using the data at the next meeting to promote thier anti-cycling agenda.

The only problem was that the video showed that most cars did not stop... I forget the exact percentage, but it wasn't too far from your 75%. And almost all the bikes stopped... something like 25% of the bikes ran the stop sign.

At any rate, they couldn't use the video at the next meeting, and the idea was scrapped.

Az