Corcis
Beer-fueled

Bikes: Giant Rincon (199x), 2005 Trek 1000, 19?? "Apollo Sport 10" by Kuwahara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Xtracycle - Surly Instigator-based

I picked up a Surly Instigator frame from Recycled Cycles a month and a half ago when I visited Seattle. I decided I was going to get an Xtracycle on it and it's finally done. My LBS assembled it today. As I haven't built anything before, this would be rather auspicious and expensive to do as a first build. Picked up the majority of the stuff there, excepting the frame, wheels and tires, and seatpost. Great shop, too.

- Front wheel: Shimano IS-6 disc hub, 32 hole Sun Ditch Witch, 203mm Avid BB7
- Surly Instigator rigid fork (suspension corrected)
- Specialized stem, Specialized Enduro rise bars, SRAM X.7 shifters, Avid FR-5 levers, Oury grips.
- Saddle: WTB Recreational (going to test it out for a couple/few rides)
- Shimano Deore LX FD on top of SRAM Firex cranks (with 22-32-44t chainrings) and Shimano single-sided SPDs
- SRAM X.7 long-cage RD over an SRAM 11-34t casette
- Rear wheel: Cannondale Delta IS-6 disc hub sized for 9spd, a 32 hole Mavic 325 Disc rim and another 203mm Avid BB7.
- Tires: Conti Town & Country 2.1

First impressions from a short ride:
Saddle height needs to go UP, something fierce. I wish I had gone with SPD-SLs - they're nowhere near as walkable, but they're much more assuring when it comes to being clipped-in and staying clipped-in. The front-end seems a little loose, but that might change with the saddle-height.
I need to stretch out the cables and bed in the brake pads, then take it back for a quick tightening. I can also swap out my saddle and try a different one then, but I feel like this one will work out.

Edit: Slid the seatpost an inch or two up and it was perfect. I don't think I'll be needing to change stems angle/length, as it feels perfect.

Last edited by Corcis; 03-25-08 at 08:21 PM.