Old 03-25-08, 08:26 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Last summer I rode for a while with a really nice bunch. Although they were all very strong riders they were so non-elitist and none were clydes. In fact I just met them while I was on a solo ride and they invited me to join them the following week. They always had a non-drop ride when I was invited and had a seperate drop ride where I could just not show up or try to keep up as long as possible (usually only til the first steep hill).

The problem is I think I actually prefer solo riding. I can go at my own pace, stop when I want, change pace depending on how I feel, eat and drink anytime, take random detours. Even if people say it is non-drop and don't seem to mind waiting, I always felt embarrassed holding things up or pushed myself too hard to keep up.

Now the weather is getting better I'm expecting the group to start riding together soon. I actully feel a bit of trepidation! I'm wondering how to tell them I would rather not ride with them when they are so friendly to accommodate me. They have nothing to gain by including me ... except maybe my charming company for the post ride coffee.

What do you like about group riding if you never race so don't need pack skills?
Sometimes you just wanna yap with someone as you ride, so even if you can't ride with the group for every ride, you should stay in contact with them, so that when you want a group ride, you can go, when you want to be solo, just go solo. You will also find, the skill of riding in a peloton very handy for strength, speed and precision training rides, and those are handy skills. By drafting a stronger and faster rider, you become stronger and faster yourself, and you learn to be more in control of your bicycle, hanging on someone else's wheel.

I prefer solo riding as well, the biggest reason though, is that I like photography as well, and the bicycle goes with photography like bacon does with eggs. Lower speed, and the ability to easily pull completely off the road, make it easy to do. I didn't do as much as I wanted last year, but I want to extend my range this year, and get in a century before my birthday (mid June) and an American measure century before the end of the season, now if only the weather would improve. Regular training rides for the year start in less then 3 weeks, so we need to get rid of the white stuff.