View Single Post
Old 03-26-08, 05:43 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I must say that I am quite shocked to see that some members here consider me to be a troll

As others have kindly pointed out, a few mouse clicks on previous posts would have shown my genuine interest it the Bike Friday Brand (I also subscribed to the YAK list).

I have just spoken to another Bike Friday dealer in Cambridge (Ben Haywood Cycles) and had a very positive and enthusiastic response in regards to the Tikit, as in fact I also had when I phoned Avon Valley Cyclery.

The really negative comments I received came from two individuals from the same shop (on different days) who are dealers for Bike Friday. Another dealer suggested that I'd be much better off with a Brompton.

Obviously it is not my place to name these people, but I did find it surprising that they where so negative about the BF Tikit. When I phoned I specifically asked about the BF Tikit and pointed out that I would probably be after a custom built and therefore more expensive bike (with a higher profit margin for them?) and could I have a test ride. It was not a case of asking for recommendations, though they obviously had strong enough feelings about the product and made these known to me.

I have been reading all sorts of folding bike reviews for over six months now and have a short list of bikes I like:

Birdy Speed in anthracite
Dahon Speed Pro
B F Tikit
Airnimal White Rhino
Moulton TSR27 sep

I know they are all very different bikes each with their pros and cons. The only one that I have seen in the metal is the Dahon Speed Pro TT.

If I am going to be spending a considerable amount of cash on a bike then I think I own it to myself to do as much research and ask as many questions and opinions as I can and of course go and have a good look at examples myself and draw my own conclusions.

I am currently riding around on a Titan Mountain 20” folder (cost £150 from e-bay) and it has given me plenty of time to assess that a folding bike is a worthwhile transport option .I just now want to upgrade to a nicer bike.

As regards the Bromptoms, I’m not quite sure what it is that I don’t like about them.. maybe the old fashion gear levers and the bolt upright riding stance? I may buy one s/h at some future point from e-bay and see if it grows on me.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by PDR; 03-26-08 at 05:52 AM.