View Single Post
Old 03-26-08, 08:34 PM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Sheldon's site on this -I think you might be confusing a long pull as being better for modulation -this is not always going to be the case. It's a combination of factors including brake design and pretty much how far you wish the brake pads to travel in relation to the rim when you move the lever a set distance.

Though I have my v-brakes setup with good modulation, i have to say my personal experience is that usually cantis have better, not poorer modulation (brake pads usually travel less of a distance), but usually less raw braking power unless the rims are really true (v-brakes with relatively longer brake pad travel relative to the rim can put up with less than true rims). Having said that, I think both are fine if you take the time to set them up well with good components and appropriate settings.

By the way, one trick to get a better feel for v-brakes is to toe them in, this can work very nicely.

Originally Posted by gregw
Canti's are old school fashion, if you go for fashion over function, fine get some canti's, their OK.

But if function is your desire, V-brakes are the ticket. It's all about leverage, force x lever arm = braking power. V-brakes have a much longer lever arm than canti's and with their longer cable pull, they also have much better modulation. Now add in individual pad adjustment and they are even better. Now add the better parallel pull models and the pads wear more even and last longer. There is plenty of clearance for fenders and racks. V-brakes are canti's with the lever arm turned up and lengthened, just a better design.