View Single Post
Old 03-28-08, 04:48 AM
RoaringMad Mac

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper Comp. and a Giant Sedona. Also a stationary bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree Mr. Beanz,

I have found over the years that lifting big means eating big. And being a combination of Endomorph and Mesomorph bodystyle. I can put on plenty of muscle but I will pay for it by holding on to excess bodyfat.

I used to have days when I would have a rather hard workout and then have to ride my bike on duty and it just would not happen. I then just asked my Lt. please on certain days could I just use the car and leg my legs rest. Mainly on back and leg days.

Plus these two activities being totally different on the scales of anarobic and aerobic they could not be any different.

Now, I am a trainee of a system called the STS or Sling Shot Training System Devised by a Man named Ronnie Rowland.

The bases of the program is in three cycles Prime/Blast/Cruise.

Prime is primarily a low volume 2 week doing two primarily exercises per body part with only 1 to 2 sets at about 15 reps or as close to good failure as possible. It is mainly a week of prep.

Blast is a High volume 4 week program doing two primary exercises per body part with each body part doing in the range of 10 total sets spread between the two exercises. This is a killer 4 weeks. Most people look at it at first and say it is not that tough looking but the reps schemes after doing it make a big difference.

Cruise is moderate volume 2 week program doing 2 primarily exercises focused on just maintaining strength. Kind of just maintaince.

The system is great for putting on some good muscle in any sport. I focuses on not overloading the CNS (Central Nervous System). Something that most high volume and Low Volume high intesity programs do not consider which leads to major over training.

Now with that said and since I am mainly in a forum here with clydes like myself the program does not allow cardio in that 4 week range because it is so much volume but for instances of loosing bodyfat the extra cardio from riding the bike if done at different ends of the day will not effect insulin levels while training.

If anyone is interested in looking at the STS program here is a link.

http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/showthread.php?t=10733

Again I apologize if this is inapropriate. If someone will tell me who the moderators or admins are I will specifically ask permissions to put up links. Since my site is a supplement site and just fitness in general I don't think I will take anything away from this site in the first place.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I've found riding and power lifting just doesn't go well together. I used to start benching at 220, then pyramid up to 330. Tried to ride the day after and it was not happeneing. I could ride but it was a struggle and I never felt well on the bike. Now that I ride much more, I stay at about 200 and do more reps. Leaves energy for the riding.

I've read that riders should increase the mileage more than 10% a week. So don't worry about trying too much too soon. Maybe I'm a minority but I'm one clyde that believes we have cardio abilities too. Matter of fact, that's how I began cycling. Two skinny minny dudes said I was a big strong guy but prolly had no cardio. They changed their minds after one puked trying to keep up! They turned back early.