View Single Post
Old 03-28-08, 02:58 PM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by late
1) Nice bike, buy it. I wish I could. Btw, how tall are you?

2) Take it to a bike shop and ask for a complete tune up, and have them work on the wheels. If you can, ask a cyclist for a reference to a good shop.

3) Now you can take it for a real ride. The fit may not be perfect as is, so you may need a shorter or longer stem. I'm a big fan of the Nitto Technomics Deluxe stem. If the fit is close, you can worry about that later when it's time to spiff the bike up a bit.

4) You will want new tires. If you are just getting back into cycling I suggest the
Rivendell Roly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy tires. They are 27c and have a nice ride.

5) There are a number of optional things you can do. I'd add bar end shifters so you don't have to reach so far. I'd also get a Brooks saddle.
*I'm 6' tall and the standover is close but still ok.

*Got a good bikeshop and will be getting said tune up as a matter of course. Cleaning the bike before taking it in is a habit of mine. (same as taking a shower before going to the doctor)

*Fits pretty well right now...but will probably have a fit done eventually at the LBS.

*Tires are still pretty new, but will eventually opt for a cushier ride.

*I'm not a fan of the downtube shifter myself....will be exploring options (have no problems with friction stem shifters).

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock