View Single Post
Old 03-28-08, 05:24 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EzCruiser
I squirted some oil in there and now the pedals are working. You can hear that some of the bearings are shot though, if I get it apart I can grease everything but idk if the rust will let me do that. I got a seat from the scrapyard along with some newish wheels (whitewall even!) Also picked up a bike for my sister and only had to pump up the tires and get a new chain (several of the links were frozen). The only thing really holding me back now is my chain. Walmart only offered 2 chains, one for multispeed bikes and one for 1-3 speed bikes. The multispeed fit my sisters bike perfect but the 1-3 was too short for mine. The multispeed length chain will be much too long for this bicycle. What should I do to remedy this?

Also, I'll go take some pictures right now and get them up.
Try some oxalic acid on the chain, too. Or, it could be that the chain is too gummed up with grease and gunk. Otherwise, you should be able to use a chain breaking tool to shorten the new chain...

East Hill