Old 03-29-08, 07:23 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright, what is my trigger, what is my problem, why am I fat?

I like food and I like to try different types of food, and then I EAT IT ALL!!!!! I worked in I.T. for 15 years and was the only one in my facility, so I worked a lot of hours and some really wierd hours. I used to drink a LOT of regular Mt. Dew. Do you know how many calories are in a MD. Too dang many. One of my biggest problems was pop (soda for you southerners). When you have been at work for 40+ hours straight, you do what you can to stay awake to finish the project or fix the problem, so 100 other people in the office can do their job, so the 400 employees on the floor can do theirs. So, you get fake hunger feelings, and you eat snack food, which gives you a lot of sugar highs, and then quick lows, so you drink more MD, and then eat more sugar.

The above is just my work problem, then I have two very active daughters, so I would go with my wife and sit in bleachers and watch our daughters play in the sporting event at the time, or the speech, or the play, or the musical, or the honor choir, or etc....... And guess what, you eat food watching them, and you don't move, so it all just adds up.

I was at a size 48 waist pants (too tight) and currently I am wearing a size 32 waist jeans and I still have at least 40 pounds of "fat" to get off of my body. I haven't been in 32 jeans in 26 years that I can remember and even though I can't dunk a basketball anymore, I feel much better about my life in general. I now do the things with my daughters and enjoy it. I play basketball and don't feel like the "stay-puff marshmellow man" when I move and jump. I am running at least 3 miles a day and even though I don't look like a runner, I am improving every single day. I play tennis, basketball, racquetball, swim, bike, run, lift weights, and I do it for fun and not because I have to, because I enjoy it again.

I spent more money on bicycles for my wife and myself, than I thought I would spend in a lifetime, and I still want to buy more bicycles, but the addiction can be stopped (I hope), just like my addiction to large quantities of food. I drink diet Mt. Dew, but I only have one a day, and the rest is either O.J. or water, with once in a while I will drink a Gatorade on high exercise days when I do something for 3-6 hours.

Can we get smaller and healthier, yes, but we can't make others. I have a friend that will not change, until his mind is ready and currently he is not ready. I hope we can get him to change, before he has severe health problems.

Be an inspiration for others, and try to get them active, but don't push them, as they may just push away. I have been there, and now I am trying to help others.

Good luck to everyone, and when you struggle, post up here, and you will get a lot of support.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun