Ric Stern

Bikes: Handsling AIROevo and CEXevo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by boze
i have a strange story:
i was veg for about 9 years - one of them vegan - and i've been back to eating meat not for about 1.25 yrs. the strange part is that as a veg i suffered from lots of overuse injuries: plantar fasciitis in my feet, ITB syndrome in my quads, carpal/cubital tunnel in my arms and wrists. i'd be trying to do the right thing (run, ride, lift, practice my jazz guitar studies) and instead of seeing gains i'd see overuse injury.

now that i'm back eating meat for this much time it's all been pretty much ameliorated. i'm still not running 10k's or anything - i try to cross train and not overdo it - but i really think i was just a bit too stringy because i was so tall and thin. i'm like 6'4.5" and maybe 180-185 now - up anywhere from 15 to 20lbs from when i was veg.

so it's crazy but i'm doing way better as a non-veg. i still miss the moral side - i still think the meat industry is **** - but i gotta stay off the veggieness if it means i can ride 150 miles a week and not risk injury.

could be that i'm just not conscientious enough as veg or omnivor and i could have found a way to get more proteins and fats.

as it stands i'm just wishing i could taper my body fat now because i miss my sixpack. but it's more important to me to get all those hours on the bike and on the trail and stuff.

my advice would be to make sure you're getting lots of protein and fats mixed in since they seem to be the harder thing to find in a veg diet. trust ricStern though - he's really knowledgable about nutrition.
i don't feel that you can link those injuries with a vegetarian diet. if anything, it sounds like you were undereating as a veggie and weren't getting enough energy in to your system. that would have an impact on being able to ride enough and recovery etc -- it's nothing to do with a lack of meat.

if you wanted to go back to being a veggie (as you're hinting at, i'm not suggesting you or anyone does that) then you need to increase your energy intake to match that of your non veggie diet. this could be done through e.g., increasing carb intake (i.e., pasta, rice, spuds, etc)

ric