View Single Post
Old 03-30-08, 05:04 AM
jodi-townie

Bikes: Proteus stationary recumbent, considering Electra Townie purchase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking forward to Weight Watchers. My first meeting is tomorrow night. Weight Watchers and the exercise bike will allow myself to shift some weight and then I will feel more comfortable getting out on the road and bike paths. I am excited and really motivated at the moment. I hope that this feeling can last since I know that it will get tough at times.

I don't think that twisting the gear shifter would be a problem, as long as it is not too stiff. I have not tried this type of gear shifting before though. Pressing a button seems mighty easy though. How do I tell the difference by the specifications? They both list Shimano Revo for the shifter.
Another question is about the tires. The Townie bikes come with either semi-slick 26"x2.0", semi-slick 700Cx38C and puncture resistant versions of these on the commuter versions. Are the 700C tires taller as well as thinner? I have been leaning towards the 26"x2.0" ones. Any opinions?

Thanks for the welcome John.

In regards to the mountain bike. It is not as bad as I thought. The tires are showing thin splits in the sides after having been sitting unused for a long time, however, they pumped up ok, so the tubes look like they have held up....so it looks like it will be ok. My main concern with the bike now is really just comfort and my fear of stopping with my bad knees. When I need to stop, I will have to jump forward off the seat I think and this is my worry and why I am looking at the Electra Townie bikes.

Thank you so much for your help everyone.
Jodi