View Single Post
Old 03-30-08, 11:14 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Now, a system that I built myself:

(Note: I photographed the bike with a Christmas Tree in the background for comparison.)

This is my Lowrider. I put all the toggle switches on the fairing, which is a Suzuki GS fairing from 1982.
It has a 12 volt, 7 amp/hour battery. It has two headlights, three red tailights,and two amber marker lights (on the fairing). The blinkers are white on the rear and amber on the front. The front blinkers are mounted to a flat , six inch by 24 inch board, on the bottom of the fairing. (aircraft plywood).
The blinkers have toggle switches on the fairing, left for left and right for right, but I can have them both on, which gives me four-way flashers. There is a 12 volt thermal flasher in series with the circuits (which makes that traditional "ker-blink-ker-blink-ker-blink" sound.
Have you ever opened a thermal flasher canister? It has a bimetallic strip inside, wrapped with a tiny bit of asbestos, and a fine nichrome heater wire wrapped around it.

Have you noticed the price of toggle switches going up? They were $1.89 last year, $3.69 six months ago, and $5.29 now. Everything electrical is going up with the price of copper.

Last edited by hotbike; 03-30-08 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Note