Old 03-31-08, 09:15 AM
joshben

Bikes: 80's Schwinn converted to fixed, Surly Crosscheck 1x9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fueled by Boh
Did anyone else bump into the road detour that started with a wicked 20% uphill around mile 78ish (might be totally off here)?
Yes, that's the long-standing (perhaps permanent) detour around the Dam #4 area. I actually didn't ride this section on the C&O, or any section between Shepherdstown and Hancock; because of a mechanical mishap i was driven to Winchester, VA by my friend for repairs and rode to Hancock from there (on US522). I'll eventually post the details of the mishap, and the great help i received from friends, in my own thread.

Also, with regards to the water pumps along the C&O: on my first day (3/26, Point of Rocks to Shepherdstown) all the pupms i saw had their handles removed. on the second day (3/27, Hancock to Pearre on the WMRT and Pearre to Purslane Run H/B on the C&O) the pumps that i saw east of the Paw Paw tunnel had their handles removed, but the pumps to the west had the handles. I'm kind of perplexed by this...i should've asked the ranger at the visitor center in cumberland, but didn't think to when i was there. Anyways, it was a welcome relief; though i wasn't in danger of dehydration, i wasn't carrying any plain drinking water, only milk in one (stainless steel) bottle, and a weak solution of gatorade in my camelbak. neither was something i wanted to cook ramen noodles or oatmeal in.