Oink
Campy Training wheels

Bikes: Moulton FX8, Pinarello Montello, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Twenty - SKF cartridge BB

Managed to take off the cotter-pinned cranks of my Raleigh Twenty, not before ruining the thread on one of the pins and completely destroyed the other one with saw/hammer/drill. I had every intention to run the original parts to the ground but I now I want to get rid of cotter pins.

For months, I read with interest pretty much every article on the subject and scouting ebay for possible parts, and then I stumbled upon a forgotten set of SKF cartidge BB from my Moulton FX8. It is English (1.37 x 24 tpi) has 116mm axle length and detachable two plastic sleeves.

I recall Vince and his *** story (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=123152) where he mentioned, "...you just screw them in and as the TPi is not so very different (26 and 24) it goes in quite easily, towards the end the going gets a bit tougher but that's it..." I am just about to do that and wonder if anyone care to give any last minute info/warning/tip I should be aware of before I do this. The only shortcoming is the possibility of ruining the pastic sleeves, then I will pay the $50 to get the proper 26tpi lock ring. I assume they would work with the SKF.

A single Stronglight chainring and cranks, again, from the Moulton will replace the original... I hope to run the other parts of the Twenty unmodified for the time being.

Thanks