View Single Post
Old 09-28-04, 10:55 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
I will mention the Babac cataloge, my mech didn't mention obselecence so I guess he has a parts supplier. Hey- yet a new question- is it possible to put in a new square taper axle that: makes my crank arm be say 2-4 mm further out?

Would it be expensive as a part and to install?
Yes to the first question. There may be another number embossed/etched on the spindle that relates to its size.

No to the second. But because cartridges are becoming the standard, some bike shops might not have them in stock for you to pick and choose. Referencing the number related to spindle size.

Cup-and-cone bearings are so good that the highest level competition stuff is... cup and cone, so the loosest possible preload on the bearings can be achieved, and hence the lowest friction.

The major problem is the fact that the lower level ones aren't sealed, and therefore grit and water find an easy entry into there. However, maintenance is not too difficult, once you have achieved the art of preloading the bearings. Major maintenance problems are brinnelling of the race surfaces, breakages of the ball bearings, mangling of the ball cage (which you can probably dispense with anyway) and cracking of the cup. The spindles very rarely give any problem.

You could conceivably use a C&C bottom bracket forever. Mass produced cartridge BBs generally can't be stripped, repacked and adjusted... you just turf them.

FWIW, I don't think Shimano stuff is bad at all... they still make pretty good stuff, even in the lower grades.