Old 04-03-08, 06:07 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 930 was more of a racing bike than a smash and bash so it should likely have fairly narrow rims already. At least the old 970 that I had did.

Tires in the 1.5 inch range will speed you up and still let you jump curbs with at least a little bit of care. But for a truly road bike fast ride you can go thinner. There's a few companies that make 26 x 1 and 26 x 1.25. My personal favourite on my old 970 was the Panaracer Pasela TG 26 x 1.25. The kevlar belt really did help reduce the number of flats to about 1/4 of what I got with my regular tires on the other bikes. And although it's rated at 1.25 it actually formed itself into more of an egg shape about 1.125 wide and with a little top crown of tread that had a curve more like a 1 inch tire. As a result at about 90 to 100 psi the bike flew like barn swift and would coast for what seemed like forever. If you can get a set you won't be dissapointed.

On another bike I'm running Ritchey Tom Slicks in 1.5 width. They roll nice and hold up well for a little bit of fun curb jumping but they don't roll as well as those old Paselas did.

For the fork I've got an even cheaper option for you....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=010

Whatever fork you get try to find one that has an axle to crown (the top of the crown where the headset race fits) that is somewhere close to your present fork.