gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Bag: I am surprised it's an issue at all. Surely even car drivers carry a bag sometimes, no? And in some places carrying bags, particularly messenger bags (!) is downright fashionable (but I guess we're not talking about a place like that). You can try to make your bag smaller and more "cool" looking, whatever is considered cool by the particular crowd you're trying to impress. A lot of the time you can probably make do without a bag: many lights fit in a pocket, lock can be bungie-corded to a rack. There is raingear that folds very small. If theft is not a big problem in your community, you can probably leave lots of stuff on your bike - like a frame pump and panniers.
I see a lot of younger people heading to work with daypacks, so I rigged up a daypack that would fit on my bicycle rack. You can also buy much the same from mec.ca in Canada and you can purchase higher end ones from both Ortlieb and Arkel. These daypack/panniers are large enough to hold a change of clothes, lunch, raingear and enough bicycle bling to rebuild your bike.