View Single Post
Old 04-09-08, 12:55 PM
exlege

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking to test ride

Brooklyn born-again newbie here. I am looking to get back into riding after 2 herniated disks. Looking for something slightly more upright, but need to test-ride some bikes to see how the back handles the strain. I did about 100 mi/wk back in my mid-twenties, but due to other life requirements, will likely use my bike for commuting, trips to the grocery store, general fun riding with my wife (<40 mi) and CV exercise. My budget is under $1,000 and I want a generator hub. I don't mind doing some upgrades to a stock bike, but would like to stay in budget.
I would love some recommendations for good LBS's which will not give me a hard time about test riding. I have a nice LBS, but they don't really carry any inventory in the store. Good people, but a very small store. I am going to test-ride a Jamis commuter 3.0 from there, but I would like to keep my options open in case I am not sold on it. I was also considering a Surley Long Haul Trucker and have looked at the Breezers and Bianchi on the net.
Any ideas would be appreciated.