Old 04-11-08, 08:52 AM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last minute century advice for a newbie?

I am embarking on my first century ride tomorrow with the goal of just finishing. Well, hopefully, the weather is looking pretty nasty right now and the forecast is for snow and 40Fs, which is better than rain.

The race is entirely on gravel roads, with the expectation that they will be pretty sloppy. I am thinking of using CX tires (considering a 32C in the front and a 38C in the back) though I might bring a 26" spare pair of wheels if the conditions are really nasty.

My biggest concern is my feet staying warm and I have Machka's advice for preparation there. Because the conditions are going to be very wet, I picked up a pair of SealSkinz in the hopes of keeping drier for longer. Has anyone used these before? I am opting for clipless pedals which unfortunately means a vented road shoe (+ neoprene booties) as there are a ton of climbs and I think I will benefit from being able to pull as well as push.

Anything else I should be thinking about? I have 2 bottles + a Camelbak bladder, food in my handlebar bag, 2 spare tubes, hand/foot warmers, spare warm clothing and lemon juice (farm dogs).