View Single Post
Old 04-11-08, 01:22 PM
Buckshot77

Bikes: Trek T900, GT Outpost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I did a couple gravel centuries this winter all ready. If the road is going to be soft 25% or more of the time, opt for the flotation of wider tires on the 26" rims versus CX tires. You'll need it. Weight is a big enemy here, but not a complete killer. Cut down on your water weight if there are going to be stops and take either the camelback (if you're used to weight on your back for hours and hours) or a couple bottles. Definitely take foods to snack on during the ride. If you can hack liquid nutrition, a water bottle with perpetuem, etc is a good choice. Plastic fenders are a godsend if it's mucky out at all. Go full on and get the front, downtube, and seat post fender. It will keep a lot of stuff off you and keep you drier. For foot wear, I'd go with winter boots, but it appears you don't have any. One trick is you use plastic baggies around your socks as wetness will definitely be an issue. Take at least a spare pair of socks. Beyond that, if you're using road shoes, I'd definitely think about using the neoprene with a light/medium pair of wool socks to keep warm. I'd rather have my feet mildly hot rather than cold. A spare pair of gloves would be nice too if you happen to get the first pair wet. A waterproof outer layer/windbreaker is your best top layer. The other clothing choices will be based on personal experience, but my choices would be winter weight base shirt, short sleeve jersey, light/medium stocking hat or beanie, and amfib bibs over a light pair of padded bibs.

Rick