Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Please tell us your age. I turned 57 last spring.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? A 1982 Ross GranTour for shopping & errands (I won't cry as much if it gets stolen), a 1999 Terry Flora for year round wet but no ice rides, a 2003 Terry Col de la Madeleine for good weather, and a 2000 Specialized Rockhopper WSD with disc brakes & studded tires for winter commuting.
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? We will skip the store on estrogen, that is probably more than anyone wants to know. I am osteopenic and should be taking Fosamax, but you have to stay upright for 30 minutes without coffee after you take it. After falling asleep after taking it, I've been scared to take it again. So calcium is my daily quest either as food or supplement. So far, most of the evidence coming back is saying that tablets of most vitamins do not give the benefit of food derived vitamins so while I continue to take a multi-vitamin, Folic acid, vitamin E, and caltrate, I eat a lot of dairy products.
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I feel like I'm balancing my "slow down" by my biking, but I'm also aware that when I was younger I would have been getting faster as well as fitter. I'm willing to settle for fitter.
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I grew up on a farm so there was a shortage of pavement then. I started riding a lot when I went to college and loved it, then got out of it as family responsibilities took over. After a HBC while running I tried biking again in the 80's but couldn't find a comfortable bike and dropped it again. Finally got my Terry and have been happily riding since.
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Most of my milage comes as commuting, with a few long rides each season (50-70miles), and a few family rides. My retirement goal is to do some touring.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Last year 3,314 miles, with 2 kids getting married this past summer I'm expecting about 2800 this year.
7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
The only weight lifting I do is work related: hauling bags & cases of dog food & kitty litter up and down stairs, picking up reluctant dogs etc. We used to do Tai Chi, but our son & daughter in law are likely to visit at the time of the class so we have dropped that.
Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
see top