View Single Post
Old 04-13-08, 05:19 PM
Catweazle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
And, of course, just as I was getting pretty darn comfortable with the new bike and I am itching to start doing some 25, 30, 40 mile rides and knock out that metric that I am now REQUIRED to complete <sigh>
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
The moral is "Just do it, whatever "it" has to be"
As long as I'm just fighting the pain, heck, I can deal with that. Pain's all mental anyway.
"Required"

heh heh....

You do rides on hills that would leave some of us broken and gasping!

The 'metric' will come when it comes, methinks, on terrain that suits you and at a time when it's opportune for you to ride 100km. It's a number rather than a barrier, and considerably more 'mental' than pain.

Having ridden a 'metric' myself last weekend I've found that it's rather quickly slipped down the rankings in my personal list of admirable achievements. Riding 100km over terrain I could already handle was an exercise in me sitting on the saddle and spinning my legs around for about 5 hours of riding time. It was a really enjoyable achievement to get behind me, but to be quite honest the ride I did yesterday was 'better' because, although I travelled 85km between starting and stopping, that ride was a wee tad faster, quite a bit hillier, and I didn't get dropped so easily on the climbs as has been the case previously. On a ride which was less 'social' and which involved less stops to allow the group to re-bunch I'd have been left behind of course, but on this ride for once I was able to travel with the lead group pretty much the whole distance. That was a more rewarding achievement for me than travelling 100km was.

Unless you are actually trying to get somewhere more than 100km distant, or trying to build up to longer rides, I suspect it's probably best to go find a flatter road when the time is opportune, get that 100km ride out of the way, and then get back to the riding you actually do!