Old 04-13-08, 06:34 PM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
Think about when you have been in a car and you came upon a farm tractor pulling a disc 12 feet wide. The tractor is moving about 14 miles per hour, maybe. You are/were moving at 35 to 50 miles per hour. How long was it before you thought, "Why is he on the road when I am trying to get to someplace?" You probably expect the driver to pull over and let you pass as soon as possible, and most farmers do just that. You could say a farm tractor has the same rights and the same rules on the road as an automobile. Cyclists are fond of saying they have the same rights and the same rules on the road as an automobile, yet many would be appalled if anyone suggested they ought pull over to let traffic pass. Why are our expectations different when our perspective changes? If farm tractors should routinely pull over, should cyclists not do the same?

I always get out of the way for a car, unless it is unsafe to do so. It only takes a second or 2 to let a car pass, when the car would be delayed longer than that if I didn't move for it.