Old 04-16-08, 09:19 PM
-Joseph

Bikes: None yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I've had two of that vintage, see below. Take heart, the Sport is not thee entry level Nishiki, there were one or two lower models. Congrats on finding that bike at a good price. Your right about the weight, but the good news is there is one change you can make that's not expensive, will lower the weight, improve braking and significantly improve the ride, alloy rims. There are plenty of inexpensive bikes sold at yard sales that have 27" rims that would work. The alloy brakes better, they will reduce the overall weight and, just as important, reduce the weight thats rotating. In addition, most alloy rims have a buldge bead rim or if you're really lucky, they'll have hooked bead rims. Either way you can purchase tires with a higher PSI rating and use all of it. I usually run 100PSI on alloy rims with a buldge in the bead vs only 80 PSI with steel rims. It will make a significant improvement.
I am going back to the thrift shop tomorrow to see if they have anything I can use, as far as the wheels are concerned.

-Joseph