Old 04-17-08, 11:20 AM
openmindedgent
the uncarved block

Bikes: '13 Surly Troll (touring), '74 Peugeot PX-10E (fixed gear), '94 Mongoose Rockadile (trail)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JACQU3S
Touring frames usualy make pretty poor fixed gear conversions. Long wheelbase, heavy tubing, low bottom bracket, slack steering geometry are intended for maximum stability while loaded (with cargo that is, not liquor). Not exacly a "racy" bike. However, since you've removed the cable guides (stays mean something different on a bicycle), effectively robbing the bike of it's intended functions... why not?
I would like to add that the naked frame is really lightweight and as far as the low bottom bracket is concerned, I live near the beach and I dont plan on having issues with high speed tight turns giving me a pedal scraping issue so I will not worry there, the big hills here are non-existant. I looked up stays on a bike and "duhhh". The stays are parts of the frame that make certain things "stay" in place. I am giving up on the fixed conversion here in regards to my lack of finances and I will just stick a freewheel on her and call it a day. I have my eyes on a nice and cheap fully built fixed gear and I will play on this "frankenstein" single speed until then. Pics up soon.