Old 04-17-08, 08:15 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
A few precisions:

Jeffbeerman2 and CliftonGK1:
I have saved money by ordering my hubs from Peter White, buying my spokes locally and building my own wheels. That way, I was able to recycle the rims I had. Building the wheels was fairly easy. I simply followed the late Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding instructions. I built the wheel on the floor and used the bike as truing stand and a small screwdriver as feeler. The first wheel I built took me 4-5 hours on two nights; I now build them in about 1-2 hours, truing included.
My LBS has the SON28B for just less than PWC, and I get my spokes and rims at www.bikeman.com for pretty cheap. The $50 I spent on a truing stand has saved me more money than I can tally up in wheel truing, and I've already built a track wheel from scratch so I'm ready for building the SON28 wheel when I can afford the parts.
I'm thinking about waiting until I need to swap rims anyhow, and rebuilding my rear wheel at the same time using DT Swiss RR1.2, or Alex DA-28 rims for both.