Old 10-04-04, 10:07 PM
jeremy_t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started commuting, need some bike advice...

Hi all, this is my first post

I'm a casual mountain biker who has just started commuting to work. While this is a short trip (only a little over 3 miles), I'd also like to use a bike for other errands, and occasionally ride it for up to 30 miles to visit people in neighboring towns.

Right now I'm using my mountain bike (Trek Singletrack 930) to get to work, but I'm worried that it won't cut it for longer trips. It's also a hassle switching out the panniers/racks/etc when I want to go on trails.

Given that I plan on going longer distances, I'm now tossing around the idea of getting my first road bike. I enjoy mountain biking, but I've always been a little jealous of the speed demons tearing up the asphalt I'm not looking to win races or anything, but I would definitely like to have something faster than a mountain bike that I could use on the roads.

So the big question I have is - do I need 3 bikes (one for commuting, one for recreation on the roads, and the one I already own for trails), or am I thinking of this the wrong way? Would a good touring bike of some sort work well for carrying stuff around as well as satisfy my need for speed? Since I'm new to both recreational road biking and commuting, I'm just not quite sure if I can get a single bike that does both.

I have about $1500 I can spend right now, and I'd like to spend it wisely. Any advice is appreciated!