View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 01:40 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by david7700
I suppose I should try this riding on the right, but I guess that means I'll need a mirror because otherwise I have to turn around every 10 seconds to check the approaching traffic and this seems to put me at more risk than being able to constantly look forwards. Once I get a mirror, "folk rider" or "opposite warrior" I'll be no longer!

And I don't think anybody will be disappointed with a "beach cruiser" bike because they are great for mostly on-road riding! Much smoother than my mountain bike with less tire rolling resistance; it is probably the next best thing to an all out road bike.
I presume, then, that you are deaf, that you can't hear the cars coming? In any case, being struck by a car from the rear is about the least common of car/bike collisions. The Door Prize, the Right Hook, and the Left Cross are all far more common.

Beach cruisers are fine for flat, or nearly flat, terrain, but the lack of gears makes them problematic in hilly areas.