Thread: Brooks saddles?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-08, 10:17 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Brooks saddles?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I am very new here and don't really know where to look.

I also fit into many categories. I am a 59 year old Clydesdale who is back to cycling to lose weight, get fit again, and to just enjoy. I plan to do some day trips, but not really sure I'll ever be ready for full touring, but would like to. I intend to do a lot more on my bike and become a lot less dependent on my car, so I need info on utility cycling.

Amyway, with all that said, I think I want a Brooks saddle. I ride a 10 year old GT Virage Hybrid that I dearly love. I am used to it and it just sits me right. I have changed over some components as needed and am very happy with it. I do need a new saddle. I am currently using a pretty old Trico gel saddle with a cutout. I do have a suspension seat post so do I need a "sprung" saddle?

So which Brooks saddle? Are they really pretty comfortable from the first ride or are they pretty bad at first. I've read a lot of opinions, but would love to hear more. I have a great relationship with my LBS, but the return guarantee from the Brooks place( sorry forgot the name) here on the forum is too good to pass up. Do I get a standard B17 or is there something better for an overweight old guy. I ride about 10 a day now, but when I'm in better shape, I will ride 18 to 25 a day.

Sorry for the long rant, but I wanted you fine folks to have as much background as possible to help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Mark