View Single Post
Old 04-24-08, 02:56 PM
extremenergy3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deolmstead
Well, disappointing response from the LBS. The guy I spoke to clearly did not support the project. When I told him what I wanted to do, his response was "Why would you want to go singlespeed? You could just put it in a gear you want and not change it." When pressed to see if they had a kit or chain tensioner, he said "we don't carry that. I could order one for you, but it would be..$80 or $90."

So, yeah. I'll check that it is in fact a cassette (thanks frankstoneline), and order the kit online. Then I'll just nod at the guy when I walk my bike past him to the free tool area.

Honestly, as someone with a background in tech, I can understand not wanting to hold every noob's hand each time they come in with some cockamamie plan to void their warranty, but I had hoped for more support from a local bike co-op that seems to place such an emphasis on learning.
Well, the deraillers and cassette take up some weight. Also having a single speed means less maintanence.

Less weight = FASTER. Which is why I want to convert to single speed before i can get all the stuff for a fixed

Also, can't you see directly if your hub is a cassette hub if there is a cassette on it?