Old 04-30-08, 07:55 PM
Mike B.

Bikes: Schwinn, World Avenue One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hedgeapple
I think I like it. If the road is at all wet, you'll appreciate the fenders - I used them on my Raleigh in the UK and would not have been without them. Haven't seen a chainguard like that since I was a kid, should help keep laces out of the sprocket and grease off the jeans. You can get a bag that will strap onto the rack. You're on the high plains, you WILL have headwinds everyday, you may want to consider drop bars and a longer stem but I'd wait 'til after I'd spent some time on the bike. I more and more like the idea of adapting a mountain bike to the pavement for this sort of duty, but the tires on this bike (700's, I'm sure) will have less rolling resistance. They will also require a tire gauge and pump that are good for 120psi (mountain bike, 60 to 100 psi, and less sensitive to temperature changes). The tire tubes may have presta valves which aren't compatible with the air hose at the convenience store - most mountain bikes have regular schraeder valves, just like your car.$400 seems like a great price to me. Don't forget to budget for helmet and lights.

And thanks for the heads up about the valves. I didn't know and was meaning to ask. If I do end up with presta can they be changed out for schraeder valves?