Old 05-01-08, 07:34 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
The frame will be fine based on your description. However your nomenclature and the year contradict each other. In 1986 there was no "CAAD" (did you mean 1996?). In fact I don't think 3.0s existed yet, I think it was what we fondly called the "5.0" (not an official name). This was a super heavy duty frame, one that was capable of supporting 150 pounds or more on the rear dropouts *without* a wheel in the frame. You can tell if the seat stays are thick, oval (in the non-aero plane), and about the same size as the chainstays.

If you meant 1996 disregard the notes about CAAD stuff. You can compare your bike to the catalogs listed here:
http://www.vintagecannondale.com/catalog.html
They are in pdf format.

I imagine you'd have pointed out any cracks, corrosion, or damaged tubes in your description if they existed.

Regarding 2.8s and 3.0s - for the era, they were fine. I raced a 2.8 and a 3.0 frame until either I crashed them enough times that the frame no longer tracked straight (2.8 - with dents or gouges in every tube except the head tube after 4 crashes one season) or until I upgraded out of the frame (3.0, which I still have). The only problems with them were typically cracks after massive miles or the fact that the tubes were bowed in the heat treating process. Since I cracked a Specialized M2 S-Works frame ("metal matrix", allegedly stronger than standard aluminum) and an aluminum Giant TCR frame, yet I never cracked a Cannondale frame, I can only talk about Cannondale frames cracking as an observer, not as someone who experienced it.

I think that worrying about the rider would be the most important thing. Agonizing over component decisions won't be very productive if you're not riding regularly in a group situation. You don't mention having other bikes to ride but if you have them, I'd race on that if they're appropriate for racing. Getting used to the bike/frame is probably the best thing you can do - in other words, build the bike with whatever, get on the thing, and ride.

As far as components go, I can guarantee you that you won't notice the difference between Ultegra and DA, for example, especially if you're using a bar end shifter for the rear derailleur, at least not for 1500-2000 miles. Front derailleur I think a steel cage derailleur is better than AL or Ti or carbon caged derailleurs because you can tweak them, and with a DT shifter, brand doesn't matter. The biggest difference between the new groups is durability when dealing with wear. Crashing is pretty similar - if you wrecked one you'd probably have wrecked the other.

cdr