View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 07:29 AM
truckin
road rash/tree burn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Speedplay X-5s (so a little different from the Zeros you're asking about, but much of the details are the same) for years. I carry cleat covers with me and put them on anytime I'm off the bike for more than a few steps or if I'm walking on soft ground. I've put well over 10,000 miles on one set of cleats with no problems whatsoever from wear, debris, etc. I'm at probably 6,000 miles on another set, also with no trouble at all.

Because I keep them so clean and use the cleat covers almost anytime that I'm walking on them, I've had no trouble with cleat screws or baseplates wearing. Cleat maintentance- Speedplay recommends lubing the cleat springs occasionally, but I've never actually done this. I think because I keep them so clean, there hasn't been any need to lube them in order to keep them moving well.

I do grease the pedals themselves occasionally- my test is to spin them by hand; if they spin more than a revolution or two before stopping, they need fresh grease.

I love the pedals for their comfort (no spring trying to center my foot, screwing with my knees in the process) and for their good cornering clearance. First couple of rides feel funny, kinda like walking on ice since your feet can pivot more easily than in most other pedals.